Thursday, March 31, 2011

Walmart, Love It? Or Hate It?

         


   For me, the answer is “both”.  There are some things I love about Walmart and other things I hate about it.  I went grocery shopping at Walmart for the first time in over six months on Friday.  Why?  Because Walmart has overhauled their coupon policy for the better just a few short weeks ago!  Walmart has always done price-matching, which means they will match the price of a competitor’s current sale ad. (You must have the sale ad with you to show the cashier.)  Now Walmart will accept competitor coupons that state the item for a certain price. (They won’t take competitor coupons for dollars/ cents off a particular item though.)  The best part of Walmart’s new coupon policy is overage!  They will now allow a coupon to exceed the price of the item, and the overage will be applied to the other items in your order or you can get CA$H back!  Yes, you read that right!  Their coupon policy also clarifies that Walmart DOES accept internet printed coupons, with the exception of free items that don’t require a purchase.  It’s a good idea to print out a copy of Walmart’s new policy and keep it in your coupon binder: walmartstores.com/download/4730.pdf 
            One thing I really hate about Walmart is NO double coupons.  I’m used to shopping at Kroger where I can get unlimited double coupons every day.  I noticed as I was shopping on Friday that there were some things I got for a steal with my coupons, like bags of kitty litter for 27 cents apiece, ice cream cones for less than half the cost at Kroger, and great prices for organic items, like Kashi cereal bars and Wolfgang Puck organic soup.  Other items seemed pricey, like yogurt, milk, and ice cream, especially since my coupons weren’t being doubled and I’m not earning any gas points.  Typically the produce at my local Walmart leaves much to be desired too.
            So the verdict for me is that I will probably stop into Walmart once every few weeks for a few select items that I know are cheapest there.  My regular weekly shopping will stay with Kroger for their good prices, gas points, superior customer service, and great quality on their fresh items.
            So, how do you feel about Walmart?  Do you love it?  Do hate it?  Tell us what you think and why!




1 comment:

  1. I'm the same way with thier produce. It doesn't stack up to Krogers at all! Same thing with Milk prices. I like to go in for a few items...(I make a list or I end up spending too much)...and that's all I get. Very cool about the coupon overage thing though!!

    ReplyDelete