Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Meal Planning Monday ~ Delightful Desserts


This week’s post is by Leah Kelley.
            We've given you a few weeks of dinners, one post about snacks, and one about lunches.  I think we need to take a break from meals.  So let's talk about dessert.  Who doesn't love dessert?!  Sometimes our family has a "Backwards Dinner.”  It's where we have dessert first then dinner.  I remember it being such a big deal when I was a kid...  I thought I had the coolest parents ever!  Instead of a meal for each day, I’m giving you seven of my favorite thrifty desserts. 

Banana Pudding ~ This is so cheap and easy to make.  All you need is a box of Vanilla Wafers, box of instant vanilla pudding, and a few bananas.
Strawberry Shortcake ~ Find Bisquick and Strawberries on sale and you have a thrifty dessert.
Ice Cream Sundaes ~ What kid or adult doesn't love ice cream?
Brownies ~ Catch a good sale at Remke or Meijer and you can find brownie mix for FREE!!  Top them with icing or just throw them in a bowl with some strawberries and Cool  Whip.
Cookies ~ Chocolate Chip and Sugar cookies are the favorites around here.  During summer I'll make a batch of sugar cookies, spread about an inch thick of chocolate ice cream on one, then top with another cookie.  Easy homemade ice cream sandwiches.
Angel Food Cake with Berries ~ Whenever I can find marked down angel food cake I buy at least two of them.  I freeze one, then slice the other up and top with berries and Cool Whip.  (If you haven't noticed - I love Cool Whip!)
Fruit Salad ~ I use whichever fruits are in season, which makes this a cheap and tasty dessert option.  I use bananas, pineapple, tangerines, grapes, strawberries, box of vanilla pudding, and a splash of orange juice.  This makes a good breakfast also.
I say live it up once a week (or at least once a month) and have some dessert for dinner!

1 comment: