Monday, April 25, 2011

Meal Planning Monday ~ Finding Fresh & Cheap Produce at the Co-op


This week’s post is by Leah Kelley.
            A few weeks ago, my mom introduced me to food co-ops.  She brought me to Paula’s Produce in Elsmere, Kentucky, a members-only co-op.  Since my mom invited me, I was able to join the co-op for just $4 per month.  This particular one has meats, cheeses, packaged foods, and an awesome selection of fruits and veggies (most of which are organic) all at great prices.  The co-op gets their food from local farms and produce distributors.
            Since finding the food co-op, it's opened a whole new meal planning adventure for me. The vegetables and fruit they have change week to week, so I never know what I'm going to find. This past week, I picked up some turnips, cauliflower, yellow carrots, cilantro and garlic. I've decided to work in the vegetables I’m purchasing at the co-op into my Meal Plans. Here’s a great source for finding a food co-op near you:

So, what is on the Meal Plan for the Kelley family this week?

Monday ~ Meatloaf, Mashed Turnips, and Steamed Carrots (I'll be trying turnips for the first time wish me luck!)
Tuesday ~ Cilantro Chicken, Brown Rice, and  Cauliflower
Wednesday ~ Sweet Turkey Chili and Cornbread
Thursday ~ Leftovers or FFY (Fend For Yourself Night)
Friday ~ My husband and I are having a date night so we'll be going to our favorite Thai restaurant.
Saturday ~ Cilantro Chicken Enchiladas. (I'll use green enchilada sauce to go with the cilantro.)
Sunday ~ Slow Cooker Ribs, Garlic Cauliflower, Skillet Green Beans and Deviled Eggs (picked up a head of cauliflower and a pound of green beans for a $1 each at the co-op!)


Garlic Cauliflower

Grease casserole dish and preheat oven to 450. Take 1 head of cauliflower and break into florets. Dice up 4 to 5 garlic cloves. Throw those in a big Ziploc bag with a little olive oil and shake until cauliflower is coated. Pour in a baking dish, and salt and pepper to taste. Bake for 20 minutes. Take out of oven and sprinkle with cheese (I used Colby jack cheese, but the original recipe called for parmesan) return dish to the over for a few minutes until cheese is melted.





1 comment:

  1. I am definately going to have to try that cauliflour recipe! It's so easy and sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete