Wednesday, April 20, 2011

No Cussing!



           We are coming into the home stretch of Lent, looking forward to Easter this Sunday.  This year for Lent, I attempted to give up cussing.  I say “attempted” because I knew from the outset that I wouldn’t be able to keep this Lenten vow without breaking it a few (or many!) times.  I attend church at the Vineyard Christian Church in Florence, Kentucky, but I was born and raised Catholic.  Some years I decide to give up something for Lent, and other years I don’t.  I will say that this year has been the most difficult challenge I’ve taken!
            Many people have asked me why I decided to give up cussing for Lent, because it didn’t seem like I had a particularly foul mouth.  Compared with a lot of other people, my cussing is fairly minimal.  However, I’ve learned not to compare myself with others, but to try to be the best me that I can be.  In all honesty, my language was the worst when I was alone, especially driving in traffic! 
            I did pretty good… for about the first 24 hours of Lent!  However, whenever I messed up, I confessed to my friends, Ericka and Randy, who took the challenge with me.  Then I got right back on track.  I’ve come up with some good clean alternatives to many cuss words, so I would have something to shout when I banged my elbow, stubbed a toe, broke a glass, or got cut off by someone in traffic.  Even though it’s been hard, I have eliminated my cussing almost completely in the last month and a half. 
            So, what have I learned with this “No Cussing” experiment?  I’ve learned that if I put my mind to something, I usually achieve it, or at least come close to my goal.  I’ve learned that avoiding cussing makes me sound more courteous and professional.  I’ve also learned that sometimes, no substitute can really capture the feeling of what I’m trying to say, other than the real thing!  So, am I going to fall off the “No Cussing” wagon next week, just because Lent is over, and adopt a trucker’s vocabulary?  No, not likely.  However, I think I will be choosing my words a little more carefully from now on.
            So, did you give up something for Lent?  How’s that working out for you?  Leave a comment and let me know.


4 comments:

  1. I gave up all soda. I was constantly seen with a Diet Coke. I couldn't go inside a store or gas station or food service establishment without having a soda. I also kept a good stock of soda at home. I have not had ANY soda at all since Lent began. I WILL be having Diet Coke this Sunday! FINALLY! But - for my own health, I do not plan on buying soda for home anymore. I will drink it for pizza night, road trips, eating out, etc.... Once the soda I have at home is gone, there will be no more Diet soda in my house. I will still buy regular soda for my other half and for when my kids visit. I am the only Diet drinker. I tried this last year and didn't make it two days. I am proud that I have made it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you, Stephanie! That's a hard one to give up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I gave up Diet coke as well but I only lasted about 12 hours. I have no will power. Plus, the stuff has to be made with some kind of crack. I cannot go with out it! I have to go to Mcdonalds to get mine, so I am also spending way too much money on DC!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL! I just can't picture you as the cursing type! Though, I love what you said about not comparing ourselves to others. Great post!

    ReplyDelete