Monday, June 6, 2011

Meal Planning Monday - Magic Mushrooms


This week’s post is by Leah Kelley.
          On my quest to eat healthier, I decided to try out a new diet, “The 17 Day Diet.” …Well sort of try it out. It calls for no drinking alcohol for the first two cycles of the diet. I ignored that rule.  (Hey now- it's hard to go Memorial Day weekend without partaking in a least one drink!) The recipe this week is for Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms. If you didn’t know it, mushrooms are great for weight loss, especially when used in the place of high-fat meats.   

Here's what is on my dinner list for this week:

Monday ~ Buffalo Chicken Burgers

Tuesday ~ Egg Drop Soup (This is surprisingly easy to make.)

Wednesday ~ Turkey Meatloaf

Thursday ~ Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms ( I picked up Portobello mushrooms for a $1 each at my co-op.  They were so fresh they still had the dirt on the stem.)

Friday ~ MNO (Moms Night Out) - A few friends and I are going to Cheeseburger in Paradise to celebrate my birthday. 

Saturday ~ Date Night with the hubby.  Red Robin sent me a coupon for a free burger; I'll have their turkey burger so I can stick to the diet. 

Sunday ~ Family Dinner to celebrate my 30th, my nephew's birthday and Father's Day.

Three nights of no cooking...sounds good to me!

Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms
2 Large Portobello Mushrooms
1/2 onion, chopped
red pepper, chopped
garlic cloves, chopped coarse (I love garlic so I cut them in big chunks. I used 4 garlic cloves)
salt and pepper
Italian seasoning
Handful of fresh spinach
mozzarella cheese
olive oil

Preheat oven 400 degrees.
Sautee onion, red pepper, and garlic in olive oil.  Season with salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning.
Put spinach in mushroom caps, spoon onion mix over top, then top with cheese.
Bake 15 to 20 minutes.




2 comments:

  1. That stuffed mushroom recipe doesn't seem that complicated. I'm surprised. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes the best recipes are the simple ones!

    ReplyDelete